Sustainable transport campaigner
- Part-time, independent contractor
- 8 days a month equivalent, for 6 months initially
- £175 per day
- Closing date: 9am, Monday 9 September
Transport for New Homes is looking for someone who cares passionately about the provision of sustainable transport in new housing developments to join their small campaign team.
You will be researching and providing evidence to support our campaign to promote new housing with sustainable access, and to oppose housing schemes that encourage car-dependent lifestyles.
Initially, and as a minimum, this will involve:
- Visiting new housing developments throughout Britain
- Rating their quality, using the Transport for New Homes Checklist
- Searching planning and transport authority files for information on housing schemes (mostly online)
- Attending core team and Transport for New Homes steering group meetings from time to time
Other tasks that may be required include:
- Reviewing plans and proposals, such as for Garden Towns
- Being knowledgeable about transport and planning policy
- Representing Transport for New Homes at events (alone or with others)
- Other campaigning activities as required
You will be able and willing to work independently, without day-to-day supervision, and will have good communication skills. You will be qualified, preferably to Masters level or above.
A good knowledge of planning, transport and environmental issues will be an advantage, but enthusiasm for the campaign objectives as set out in the Transport for New Homes Charter will be more important.
The person appointed does not have to live in London, but must be able to access central London for meetings. He or she will have a fully equipped and sociable workspace available in the Farringdon area of central London, if required, and home working will also be possible.
You will be an independent contractor, initially for 6 months, but with potential for this to be extended. Flexible working is expected, to suit work requirements and personal circumstances, but averaging the equivalent of 8 days a month. Rate will be £175 per 7-hour day plus expenses when away from home.
Apply to Jess at Transport for New Homes, email@example.com, enclosing your c.v. and a brief statement as to why you think you are suited for this job. Please provide the names of two people who can be approached for a reference.
Closing date: 9am, Monday 9 September.